Students provided meals at no expense

Meals that used to cost $2+ are now provided for free at participating schools.

Jaylean Thompson

Elena Waddoups, grade 9, with breakfast served at the Highland cafeteria.

Jaylean Thompson, Reporter

With Covid-19 funds, the government requires all schools to provide free lunches, which started at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. Before this was put in place, breakfasts would cost $2.05 full price, $0.30 at the reduced price, and $2.85 for adults and lunches were costing $3.10 for full price, $0.40 for reduced, and $4.50 for adults.

There are 4 choices for breakfast each day, which include breakfast cereal, breakfast sandwich, frudel (breakfast pastry), or the mainline (rotating breakfast items). There are 5 choices for lunch each day, the deli (salad bar twice a week), mainline (menu changes every day), “fast food” line, pizza line, and an a la carte line.

The government is paying for lunches to allow students to consume food without affecting those that receive their salary from school lunch money.

“If you come to school with an empty belly, it’s not going to be a good situation to learn in,” states Bell about why this is important to him. He declares that there is no possible way to know exactly what families are struggling to provide food. The easiest and most efficient option is to provide free meals for every student.

While lunches are being paid for, it allows students to not become anxious about how they are going to afford food.

Some students don’t know when their next meal is going to be in spite of the pandemic. While parents are being let off their jobs due to Covid-19, some students might not eat at all without meals during school hours.

The government is providing funds for those who prepare student meals in order for their pay to not be affected.

Students are now worry-free about daytime meal costs thanks to government funds. For meals that used to be over $2 each for full price, it is amazing that SD25 is able to provide for those in need.