High school students face new college plans due to COVID 19

Are you thinking about how COVID-19 could affect your plans to attend college?

This is the Idaho State University (ISU) Logo.

Quanesha Williams

Quanesha Williams, Reporter

Many students worry about how the pandemic may affect their plans to go college in their future. A survey by Junior Achievement states that 57% of students are concerned about how the coronavirus will effect their plans for their future careers.

Of the students polled, 27% said their plans after graduation have changed, while 44% said, “The pandemic has affected their plans to pay for college.”

Those who said their plans after graduation changed, 35% stated it would move their living situation, like living at home instead of a dorm room, and 30% delayed their college start date. Meanwhile, 13% changed the school they planned to go to and just 8% decided to no longer attend college.

Are student even going to take this pandemic seriously? Student should be apart of what is happening and be aware that their ability to stay on campus depends on the campus remaining COVID-free. According to the Los Angele’s Times, “There is really no better time than now to learn statistics, epidemiology, clinical medicine and government, as critical parts of understanding an outbreak,” Pardis Sabeti, professor of immunology and infectious diseases at Harvard, said.

Would college “COVID-style” be worth it? According to Grown and Flown “Masks must be worn, inside and outside, unless you are alone in your room with your roommate.” Everyone is also required to social distance from everyone, making an exception for your room. You are only allowed to grab-and-go, no one was allowed to eat the dinning hallways. Those are just a couple of requirement for a couple of the colleges.

This may be even more challenging for the new freshman. “At my daughter’s school, there was little to no orientation. What they did have was limited to virtual welcome speeches lacking any practical or useful content during one of the most pivotal transitions in their short lives,” A blogger by the name Wendy Silver said. Their will be very little, if any, chances to connect and communicate with other students.

Any meeting that were planned were scheduled to be online, and their were hardly any meetings with RA’s. “I couldn’t help but wonder, if it’s not safe to gather a small group of students on a floor, who already share a bathroom, is it safe for them to be there at all?” Silver said.

At a charter school in Florida, Sabeti is working on a “Huddle” symptom reporting app and dashboard, which you can identify who is in your community and detect viruses that could be circulating.