Election day approaches

With it being so close, how is the Ram Fam feeling?

Shyanne Strength

Lexie O’Hearn gets her picture taken after giving her political thoughts.

Shyanne Strength, Reporter

Only 17 days left to go until the leader of next four years in is decided. This is a big day for the United States as the 59th presidential election. The democratic candidate is Joe Biden, and the republican candidate is the current president, Donald Trump. 

When asked what she thinks about mail in voting, Lexie O’Hear, a sophomore, says she doesn’t think it’s what President Trump makes it out to be but “the whole government’s a scam.” 

Jason Hebdon, math teacher here at Highland, states that for the 18 year old voting students we need “some sort of place they could go for information. Or even a class like during election years so they could actually be more educated about what they’re deciding.”

“I think, for the most part, they are an extra vote for their parents,” he added. 

“Well, that’s the way that a lot of kids are raised, and what they’re raised around is what they tend to believe. And, you know, different people’s standpoints tend to reflect in their children,” stated David Perez, also a 10th grader. 

O’Hearn, however, has a different take on the matter. When asked if her political views are swayed from her parents she says she has “the exact opposite political views from them actually.” 

In Hebdon’s opinion, the election is “a big, huge waste of money that gets absolutely nothing accomplished.”

“I don’t like either of them a ton but you’ve got to settle for one. Pick the one that’s better, at least slightly,” O’Hearn also states. 

President Trump has talked a lot about mail in voting leading to fraud. Hebdon states, “I think the whole system is flawed in general, so whether it’s mail in or not, I don’t think it matters. That’s the whole reason that I don’t vote. There’s been times in the past where the popular vote of the people voted for one president and the other president got in and I just, I think the whole system is flawed.” 

“I don’t think he’s a great person. What he’s doing for the economy or what he was doing for the economy was great. But the way he handled coronavirus and the way he’s going about the election right now, and just the views he has, or the views that other countries are getting because he represents our country are not the greatest.” Perez states. 

His slogan is “Make America Great Again” but Perez says all he’s doing is “Making America look like a clown show.”

O’Hearn doesn’t think much better and says, “Well, he reminds me of a stale cheeto puff. That’s what he looks like. And his hair is like dry, dry ramen.

On the contrary, Hebdon believes he does the best he can with what he has but doesn’t have many people working with him, mainly against. 

Previous Vice President Biden “seems kinda chill” in the words of Lexie O’Hearn. 

Whereas Perez hasn’t “looked too much into him,” but he did watch the Presidential debate which was “a train wreck.”

“It’s not like I can really get a say in anything but at the same time both of them are really bad,” Perez also says. “Both candidates are, you know, unique? I guess? And I don’t know. Whichever way the election goes, it’ll definitely have it’s ups and downs.”