Highland high school is no longer having fire drills due to Covid-19

If we no longer have fire drills how will we learn where to go? Is a question some ask as we go into the new school year. Although some are happy because of this.

Brynn Hillary, Jessey Gray, and Alyssa Funk

As school starts and students return from quarantine staff are trying to take precautions to prevent spread of Covid-19

One of those changes is no longer have fire drills.

We start to wonder what that means for our students and staff safety, so we asked some Highland staff and learners.

When we asked a student’s opinion about no longer having fire drills she said, “I think that by the time you are in high school you should be able to know how to be safe in case of a real fire.”

Although some feel that high school students should be able to figure out where to go in an unlikely case of a fire, there are also a few who are worried about unpreparedness.

When we asked the same question to one of our teachers he worried that because freshmen have never had  a fire drill in Highland they will be inexperienced and unable to find a place to go if a real fire occurs and thinks we should be doing fire drills. 

What this Highland teacher is worried about is very valid and should be kept in mind. So maybe for those who are freshman, try and figure out a place to go in case of a fire.

Many might think that it is a good thing that we don’t have fire drills.

A student was asked what might be some positives to no longer having fire drills and she answered that she likes that she  will no longer have to stand in the cold for a repetitive fire drill.

When we asked a teacher he felt that fire drills have never been much a disruption for him and that even though it took time out of class it was just a routine thing that we could deal with it.

To dig deeper as to why we don’t have fire drills we decide to ask the Principal and other staff members.

When we asked the principal’s opinion on fire drills he said, “We can do masks, we can distance well enough that we should still be doing that. Because in the end I think that the most important people to train are the students not the teachers.”

Like the principal, the teachers are prepared for any fire drills, but the students are mostly unaware of where to go.

Principal Wallace is a little unsettled about not having safety drills to improve understanding of where to go, but to address this freshmen advisories should have helped them to understand where to go.

When we decrease the amount of time we use practicing fire protocol, we increase the amount of class time.

Lately class time is very limited and when we make little changes to increase it, we can also help to lower spread of the virus.

Throughout the school there are many different opinions as to how we should treat safety protocols because of coronavirus, but in the end we can only try our hardest.

Many may wonder what this means for the future, but we can try and be prepared, use common sense and learn about all exits.

In addition to all the downsides to of no longer having fire drills there are some good things, we can make the most of our learning time.

As we come to terms with changes for this school year we can take a moment to interpret the change into something positive.

Students and teachers working hard knowing that class will not be interrupted by a fire drill this year due to Covid 19.