Mamma Mia becomes the hit musical of the year

Set design for Mamma Mia play

Ashlyn Gabbitas, reporter

Mamma Mia is a smash-hit musical, that uses ABBA song to tell the perfect story of Sophie’s trying to find out who her father is out of three possible options. The musical is set on a greek told to be set on Aphrodite’s fountain. The play Mamma Mia will be showing from March 12th to March 17th.

The drama teacher/Director at highland high school Mr. Vannoy says his goal is to get as many students involved in the plays as possible.

“Musicals are always stressful but it’s still a lot of fun,” Vannoy said

Vannoy said he chose this play because its a very well known and popular musical

I’m most grateful for my choreographer and my music director there both so amazing Vannoy said

Austin Buetts is a 15-year-old freshman at highland who has gotten the part of “Sky” Austin has been acting for five years.                                                                                                                                                                                                           hardest part of acting is the stress of being in front of the audience but that all goes away after you begin Buetts said.

Samuel Bacon a 17-year-old senior at highland playing the part of “Harry” tried out for the play because he wanted to see what it was like.

Bacon said that memorizing everything is the hardest part. “I’m excited to be in a musical because its fun to sing and dance while acting”.

Jade Steed a 15-year old Sophomore at highland playing the part of “Sophie” Jade was originally hoping for the part of Rosie witch she believes best suits her personality, but jade is very pleased with the part she got anyway.

“Working with the people is my favorite part of being in the musical,” Steed said.

Jade originally tried out for the play for more experience in acting.