Rampage

• November 1Football plays Mtn View in the semi-finals Friday 8:15 PM Holt Arena

• September 17Read the latest newsletter at https://rammessages.blogspot.com/

Humans of Highland

Mr. McArthur is a science teacher at Highland.

By Sarah Bounmixay

“Before I came to Highland I was at ISU teaching secondary education having fun. Highland then asked if I could come teach for them, but I said no thanks, I’m fine where I am and I’m having fun. Highland soon came a second asking me to teach at Highland saying they needed me. So I agreed and now I’m here.

Now there is a crisis of a giant shortage of teachers especially for science, technology, engineering, and math. We call this STEM. We are super lucky to be by ISU because of support and the education they can help the school district with. In American Falls science teachers are required to teach during their prep hours. I recently talked to a college professor and he said to me that they just threw him and others in with no help on how to teach or help students. I had my teaching classes before I became a teacher.

Now in college, the people hired to become teachers aren’t given a class or a preparation on how to teach their students. They just hand you the information and say there you go now learn the way I teach instead of like teachers in high school. Others and I try to bend the way we teach to help kids to help them learn easier or get the point. I met a retired teacher yesterday and he said that he was talking to one of his students, a girl, and told her that the low grades she had weren’t going to help her in any way. He told her that she would still be flipping burgers years later trying to support her own kids. Soon the mother of the girl called him and said ‘You told my daughter this?!’ and he replied ‘Uh. Yeah.’ High school teachers care where you are going to end up and we want to help you learn in the best way possible.

The extra activities I do, for Highland, is to volunteer to watch the time for the football games of JV and Freshman. I sometimes also time the track team, but this year we had no track so they all had to run at Century’s track.

What I like at Highland is teaching my classes and getting inquisitive students. It doesn’t matter what the subject is, but I love answering thoughtful and deep questions the students have here. I also love assemblies and I’ve only missed one for my whole time being at Highland.”