Mental Illness Around Our School

Piper Jones, Reporter

At Highland High School students have been suffering from poor mental health over the past few years, some claiming that school adds to the issue. Depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder seem to be the most apparent among students. Cameron Norton says this is true because he suffers from two of the three most common illnesses in our school. Although, some people self diagnosed themselves with these afflictions, making their statements not completely true or trustworthy.

Some typical ways of coping with these mental illnesses are common among many different people, “Finding something to look forward to and be excited about is how I get through hard times” Kaden Simmons says. Another way of dealing with these feelings is music, Cameron stated he listens to music to get all his frustration and bad feelings out. Mikkelle Martin said she isolates herself by staying in her room for a week or two to cry it all out, along with changing her hair color. All of these are ways to cope with the difficult feeling today’s teenagers face, though not guided by a professional counselor.

If you have persistent feelings of sadness, loss of interest, changes in sleep, energy level, appetite, concentration, daily behavior, drops in self-esteem, or even thoughts of suicide you could be depressed. Going to a qualified doctor and talking to them about how you feel is a good start to better mental health. Everybody’s mind works differently, therefore every remedy is different. Dr. Nye, a general practitioner at Tanner Clinic in Syracuse, Utah said, “People shouldn’t be embarrassed to talk about how they feel mentally, that’s why doctors are here, to make you feel your best.”