Principal Wallace plans improvements to student parking lot

Unsafe, rowdy, crowded, difficult, dangerous, dysfunctional all describe the Highland High School student parking lot.

Picture of the Highland parking lot during the school day to show how little space there is available to the students.

Cortnie Hulse

Cortnie Hulse

Cortnie Hulse

Improvements to the student parking lot made by Principal Wallace will be implemented in the near future, providing more safety to those who use it by adding more space, entry and exit ways. “There’s a wreck every day, so for me its a safety issue.” says Principal Brad Wallace,  “We have at least one kid get hit every year, usually more than one. No one is ever really hurt that bad, but it’s dangerous.”

The parking lot hasn’t always been this dangerous. A former student who graduated in 1968 remembered back to when she was attending Highland. She stated that “most of the kids did not drive to school, so the parking lot had lots of empty spaces,” so there weren’t as many safety issues. She never recalled any car accidents.

As more students started driving over the years, more and more safety problems occurred. Camille Long, an English teacher, stated, “I feel like every day, one of my students comes to class and tells me that they got in a wreck, so I definitely think something needs to change there.”

Fortunately, Wallace has plans to help solve the problems. He plans in the next three to five years to “put speed bumps in the parking lot. We want to create traffic flow; we want to open up another area where you can exit so there are entry and exit locations and you’re not entering and exiting in the same spot. Add cameras, and those are all plans.” He also stated that he wanted to separate the bus drop off area and the parent pickup and to expand the faculty parking, which would add more student parking.

He also thinks it would be a good idea to  “put in one of those flashing crosswalk signs between the high school and seminary building. We have hundreds of kids crossing right there and cars going through.”

Unfortunately, doing all of this is extremely expensive and Highland doesn’t pay for it, the school district does. Principal Wallace believes that “if we do it in phases, we might be able to convince them [to pay for it].”