Changes recently made in attendance policy

Highland student running to class because they're late.

Ashlyn Peterson

Ashlyn Peterson

Ashlyn Peterson

drawn by Kiana

The school changed the attendance policy in hopes of having better attendance in class. 

Mr. Steve Mortan said, “The problem with the old attendance policy is they were not attending class. The students didn’t get any consequences. It used to be that you would get ticketed, but once they passed the age of 16 they no longer had to attend school. So they didn’t get ticketed anymore. He said that they looked into other school district policies and that’s when they found that other schools were making it so students didn’t get credit for classes they were missing. Mr. Mortan said, “The state status says you have to be in attendance at least 90% of the time. We are only in school 56 to 63 days a trimester we’re a little over 90%.”

Jenna Wilcox said,” The policy hasn’t changed only the way it’s enforced.”

Sophomore Alyssa Miramontes was not a fan of the new policy. “Heck no, I hate it because it doesn’t apply to us; it mostly applies to the seniors because the seniors are the ones who skip out most of the time. So why does it apply to the junior, sophomore, and freshman.” The attendance policy didn’t ruin much for Miramontes since she doesn’t skip, but she said: “I don’t get as many sick days; so I have fewer days to stay home if I don’t feel well or just to stay home.”

Senior Kenslee Stoddard was also not a fan of the new policy. ” No, I’m a senior I should be able to come and go when I please.” Stoddard said her mom usually takes her on trips during the school year, including ski trips in the winter, “and I’ll have to miss out on those.”

Math teacher, Mr. Jason Hebdon agreed with the new attendance policy. “I think it is important for students to be in the classroom. I think it’s important that there is some sort of consequence for you not being in class.” He later said the consequence of not being in class is you have more homework to do. It puts more on the students’ plates as well as the teacher’s plate because “we now have to help students catch up.”