Rampage

Help our heroes

There were 40,056 Homeless Veterans recorded on January 2017.

Help our heroes

U.S. Service members, veterans, family members and others participate in the 2014 Memorial Day parade and ceremony at the Beaufort National Cemetery in Beaufort, S.C., May 26, 2014. The ceremony was held in remembrance of Service members who gave the ultimate sacrifice. (DoD photo by Cpl. Aneshea S. Yee, U.S. Marine Corps/Released)

U.S. Marines

U.S. Marines

U.S. Marines

Alyssa Doucette, Guest advocate

We, as a civilization, have not been treating our heroes right. The fact that there were 40,056 Homeless Veterans recorded on January 2017 is appalling. The people of VA (Veteran Affairs) have seen that, spending at least 35 million dollars which saved over 4,000 homeless veterans. But as you can tell, it was not enough. To help our heroes, we could help just by having every American donate 1-5$. Citizens can help our heroes. They protect us and we should protect them back. So please, give a donation to relieve limitations.

Overall, we should help them as they have protected us like fighting against ISIS in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Giving is the most important aspect to helping our poor veterans, as most of them signed up willingly to give their everyday lives away to protect ours. It is known that our veterans do not get paid much even as they are in service only getting $7.25 per hour, this is minimum wage. Even knowing that they do not get paid much and that there is always a chance they still serve us, we should return that kindness to those who did come back from war. Helping them have another chance.

Not only that, we should help our veterans as they have given their body; 1,558 military personnel lost a limb as a result of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Given their mentality; 11-20% of 100 veterans will have PTSD. They serve and protect, but what happens after? Some after war get so depressed they kill themselves. In a study done by the VA, 20 veterans die by suicide per day. That is one suicide every 65 minutes. This is from 1999 to 2010.

Donating can help veterans have a better life, just a small donation to charities like Disabled American Veterans (DAV), United States Veterans Initiative (U.S. VETS), National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV), American Veterans (AMVETS) can help. And when everything is all said and done, they believe and know, that America has not turned their backs on them and that we leave no man left behind.