Urinetown; an odd play to love

A+Picture+Of+The+Cover+Of+The+Program+For+Urinetown+

Urinetown; an odd play to love

A Picture Of The Cover Of The Program For Urinetown

Ruby Kloh

Ruby Kloh

Ruby Kloh

Ruby Kloh, Reporter

Urinetown, what a musical! Within the first act you have fun songs and dances performed by our own highland students. Each song has so much meaning, just like the play. The musical goes deep into society, and our own personal views and thoughts on what is right. On one hand it talks about how one works for someone else’s dreams. How we pay someone else to live, for shelter, for food, for water.

There is a bit of a debate in the musical. To do what’s right to live, or to do what’s right to be happy. Is it happiness to be alive, and have one’s heart beating, or to do what one wants to. These aspects are represented in the right to pee, and in the drought. In the musical there has been quite the drought, and in order to preserve water you have to pay to use the restroom. In other words, “It’s a Privilege to Pee” as one of the songs goes.

While you might say, why not just sneak it? It is illegal, if you are caught you get sent to the infamous Urinetown, of which you won’t know what it is until the final act, even though there are only two.

The hero of this story is Bobby Strong. When Bobby’s father can’t afford to use the restroom he goes right on the pavement, and is sent to Urinetown. Bobby is then conflicted on what he should do or should have done. He is them told be Hope Cladwell to follow his heart, and through song they fall in love. Hope is the daughter of Caldwell B Cladwell, the owner of Urine Good Company, which control the toilets. He sings a song about how if they want to live, another must go which you will learn more about. Bobby after being told by hope to follow his heart begins a revolution, and lets people use the restroom for free! Which once more is illegal.

To be surprise by its amazing ending see Urinetown Monday at seven-thirty in the evening, you will not be disappoint be the outcome. I loved, and I bet you will too!