Rampage

• December 6Orchestra concert at 7PM at Century's auditorium

• December 6Wrestling match after school on 12/6

• September 17Read the latest newsletter at https://rammessages.blogspot.com/

You smile, I smile

Smiling can get you through the rough days even if it's a fake smile. A smile is a smile and nothing can change the happiness of seeing smiles.

You smile, I smile

SMILE EVERYDAY- Nicolas Price, a freshman at Highland, says he smiles every day and hardly ever stops smiling!

Kimberly Miller

Kimberly Miller

Kimberly Miller

Kimberly Miller, Reporter

Smiling, whether forced or naturally, can essentially make you happy. “Even forcing a fake smile can legitimately reduce stress and lower your heart rate,” says Dr. Sivan Finkel, a cosmetic dentist at NYC’s The Dental Parlour. Smiles not only help you mentally, they are also contagious, if someone has ever smiled at you, you know it’s hard not to grin. Of course you always have people, especially in high school, who don’t smile back, Nicolas Price, a freshman here at Highland, says, “I smile lots! Like lots, I’m a very happy person” and when asked if he has ever smiled at someone and they not return the smile Price confidently replies, “Yes! Everyday, but I love to smile, lots! I’m gonna live longer because I smile.”

Smiling can make you appear more approachable, I conducted a survey in which everyday for two days I would smile at a stranger in school, 79 out of 114 students smiled back, some even said hello. An anonymous source said that they smile “too often” but most of the time it was a fake smile to appear happy even when they don’t feel like it.

“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” —Thich Nhat Hanh

An example of the contagiousness of a smile would be like when you see people laughing or smiling, you feel like smiling even though you may not know what’s so funny or exciting. The smiles spread like wildfire and soon you’ve got everyone smiling even if it’s just for a moment. Smiling can relieve stress, and being in a state of life where stress is unbelievably common, smiling may be a good thing to start. If you don’t believe it, give it a try! Here’s a quick exercise to do during the day when you might be feeling stressed, sad, or uneasy: smile for at least five seconds you will begin to feel unexpectedly happy, and just think if you smile for more than five seconds you would experience even more “invisible” happiness. The smile may be forced and fake but the joy is as real as you and me.

About the Contributor
Kimberly Miller, Reporter

Kimberly Miller's favorite hobby is volley ball. She has also won first place with an Education Award and earned first place in a swimming contest.