Rampage

• November 1Football plays Mtn View in the semi-finals Friday 8:15 PM Holt Arena

• September 17Read the latest newsletter at https://rammessages.blogspot.com/

Schools selling coffee to students

How coffee could benefit students at Highland.

Jordan+Iverson+takes+a+picture+enjoying+some+good+coffee+right+before+school+starts.++
Jordan Iverson takes a picture enjoying some good coffee right before school starts.

Jordan Mayo, Sophie Gagnon, and Jordan Iverson

Whether it’s you or a friend, coffee impacts our everyday lives. Some people like to joke that they live off of coffee, but how many people actually drink it?

According to the Specialty Coffee Association, 41% of Americans drank coffee daily in 2017. This has raised by 27% compared to the average daily consumption of coffee in 2001. The California College San Diego says that the main caffeine product dranken in the U.S. is coffee.

Caffeine can affect people in several ways. Some of the positives mentioned include the ability to enhance your memory and affect a person’s dopamine levels, which means that your mood improves. These results happen when coffee is drunk in moderation.

The College of California San Francisco said that 200 milligrams are perfect for improving cognitive functions and lightening up your mood. On the other hand, and over 400 milligrams at a time is way too much. If taken excessively, coffee can cause health problems such as dehydration and a higher risk of heart disease.

Not only is the idea of alert students great, but the idea that it could bring money to the school is another benefit. We Interviewed Mrs. Jenkins, the Teen Living A and Nutrition & Foods teacher at Highland High School, about her opinion. We interviewed her because she has worked with fundraisers before, including selling jerky sticks.

When asked how fundraising helps schools she said they mostly help out with clubs. There are a ton of students that can’t afford to be in a club, so fundraisers can help cover the costs instead of it all coming out if their pocket.

We mentioned the idea of selling coffee, and she thought it was a good idea. “I actually think it’s a great idea because it’s something I was thinking of doing,” she said. She said she’s trying to figure out how to get it taken care of, and she says that she knows a lot of people are interested in it. She also said that people would like it because it’s cheaper than places like Starbucks.

We decided to ask the students at Highland. We interviewed over 200 students, and the majority agreed that we should sell coffee. One of those students was a sophomore named Alyssia Jhonston. She said, “It keeps me up through the day.”

Another student was Kassia Shokes, another Highland sophomore. She mentioned who would benefit the most. “We should have coffee  for the kids who miss breakfast and can’t get theirs.”

Overall, the main concern with selling coffee would be the amount given. However, if teachers were in charge of this then everything could be given in moderation. Because of this, we should help Ms. Jenkins and sell coffee to the students at Highland.

About the Writers
Jordan Mayo, Reporter

Jordan Mayo, pronounced like the sauce, is a brand new freshman at Highland. She enjoys long walks on the beach and watching paint dry. Even though she...

Sophie Gagnon, Reporter

Sophie Gagnon's enjoyable hobbies are drawing and reading. She loves listening to music to boost her spirits. Also she is entertained by her current favorite...

Jordan Iverson, Reporter

Jordan Iverson loves to travel, explore the outdoors, and is always ready to have a good time.