Talent Scouts on the lookout

Student athletes work hard to impress.

Highland+coach.

Talent Scouts on the lookout

Highland coach.

Highland coach.

Jordan Iverson

Highland coach.

Jordan Iverson

Jordan Iverson

Highland coach.

We often see students get athletic scholarships after high school. The process is difficult and requires hard work. They have to keep their grades up and above a certain GPA. How hard the athletes play does not necessarily determine their scholarship. But you obviously have to be good. It is not just grades. Only about 2 percent of student athletes are awarded college scholarships.  An interesting aspect of the scholarship process is college scouts. The scouts are hired by the college to find athletes that will be an asset to their program. They look at the talent, grades and character. The scouts often come and watch them play in person in tournaments or championships games. Another way they observe the athletes is by film sent by a coach. They are skilled at picking out good athletes.

Ty Pearson, coach of golf and basketball, says that talent scouts reach out to him “Sometimes at events”, such as games and fundraisers. Pearson also contacts to ISU coaches to “Help the team”. Pearson does not have to find talent scouts all the time. Nick Sorrell, coach of football, says most of the time, “They contact us”. Sorrell says that coaches have a list of kids they think are the next level things and whenever they get contacted from talent scouts, they tell them about the list and the kids that are on them. “We talk about it with them more”, Sorrell adds. You do not have to just be good at the game and play great. You also have to apply to see if you can be on the list.