A breath through clouds

The truth about flavored air

Addiction can be many things; drugs, cigarettes, phones, vaping, and more. Approximately 8.1 million people vape in the US alone. 20% of high schoolers, and 5% of middle school students do it.

“I’m almost always seeing people passing their vape to a friend or telling them to meet them in the bathroom just for a hit,” resource officer Daniels stated.

Research has shown that vaping can affect your life in so many ways. For example, vaping can increase anxiety and depression.

Speech teacher Jett Smith stated, “The chemicals put in vapes make it hard to focus and affects your mental state.”

Vaping can also affect your daily activities by ruining your lungs.

Chase Zweigart, a freshman, stated, “Students spend most of their money on vapes.” Out of the millions of people vaping in the US,  they spend an average of $387 to 5,082.50 just on vapes.

Propylene Glycol, one of the main ingredients in vape juice, is also one of the main ingredients in shampoo, lotion, conditioner, and more.

David Walker said “Asking for help in important. I wish kids would ask me for help more.”

Because e-cigarettes were introduced to the US in just 2003, we still don’t know the long-term effects of vaping.

Dr. Walker also mentioned that vaping can increase peer pressure among friends and therefore affect those friendships.

“People should ask for help more when they know that they are addicted,” freshman Zakaree Espinoza stated.

Each year, over 2, 711 people end up in the hospital from vaping because of the chemicals affecting their lungs.

Espinoza and Dr. Walker both agree that people have places and resources to help them and there IS help out there.

Nicotine increases your heart rate and decreases the oxygen to your brain, and tenses your muscles which can increase your stress levels.

“People spend all that money, you can spend it somewhere else and help you be healthier.”

E-cigarettes also contain arsenic, which has effects on the nervous system.