Handle the stress

October is national Emotional Wellness month.

this picture shows a person standing on hill during a sunset. It gives a calming feeling to help with feelings of being overwelmed.

Mya Shroll, Reporter

Emotional wellness is the ability to handle the stress of life and adapt to change and difficult times.

“I deal with stress by listening to a musical and taking a little time to myself and just let my brain relax,” Freshman Clover Luekhart said.

With the start of school again, many people’s mental health has taken a hit, so make sure to check in on your friends, and help them find ways to support their emotional health

“Physical activity like going on a walk or going to swim practice helps me deal with stress or changes in my life,” freshman Olivia Dallon said.

When you have good emotional health, you are able to adapt to the challenges of life and deal with your emotions in healthy ways.

“I deal with changes in my life by talking it out with my mom, dad, or sister while I de-stress,” Luekhart said.

Some of the helpful ways to handle emotions are, giving yourself credit for the good things you do, forgive yourself when making mistakes, and surround yourself with positive people.

“During 2020, my cat, who was basically my best friend, died. He would sleep in my bed with me and whenever I saw his favorite places to be, I would cry. I was pretty depressed for about a year. I’m better now because my friends helped me a lot and gave me advice,” eighth grader Annalise Robinson said. 

Another good thing is to relieve stress. Make sure you get enough sleep, yoga, get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day if you’re feeling stressed. Sometimes even just being outside can help clear your mind.

“This summer, my grandpa died from cancer and it hit my family really hard. We were all emotionally unhealthy and we were all grumpy all the time. We dealt with this by going to hang out with friends or family and it helped us keep our moods up,” Luekhart said. 

Emotional health is just as important as physical or mental health. Sometimes mentioning it to a friend or family member can help, and just letting yourself be upset for a bit is part of maintaining a balance in your health.

“I usually deal with changes in my life by either talking to people, or staying in my room and letting myself be sad,” Robinson said.