Olivia Rodrigo’s Sour Prom album review

This album is THE best album worldwide, which is why it went viral in less than a week after its release date.

Aspyn R. Branson, Reporter

If you watch TikTok or have friends who do, you may have heard of Olivia Rodrigo. On May 21, 2021 her Sour Prom album came out and in less than a week went viral worldwide.

Her first song in her album has the name of Brutal and lasts (2:23). In it, she talks about her insecurities, (“I’m so insecure, I think that I’ll die before I drink”) break up struggles, (“And I’m so caught up in the news of who likes me and who hates you”) and how she has wasted her youth. (“If someone tells me one more time “Enjoy your youth,” I’m gonna cry”).

I personally enjoy this song because it describes how not everyone will have a good teenage experience. Olivia’s songs are very relatable and help me get through my day. I listen to this song when I’m really angry, or just need a song to scream along with.

picture from wiki commons by SINGmeAsadSONG

The second song in her album is Traitor (3:59). This song is about how she feels about her ex and why they ended up cutting things off. (“You betrayed me and I know that you’ll never feel sorry for the way I hurt, yeah you’d talk to her when we were together, loved you at your worst but that didn’t matter It took you two weeks to go off and date her guess you didn’t cheat but you’re still a traitor”) I think this song is relatable as some people date for fun in high school and as soon as they are done with one person they will move on to another person like the last one meant nothing to them.

I like to listen to this song when I feel betrayed by someone, it helps me express what I want to say, and I can just stay in my room and sing along with it, which helps me get my feelings out without saying something to someone and regretting it later.

The next song is called Drivers License (4:02). First time I listened to this song was last year when I was in a rough place mentally and it helped me realize that I wasn’t the only person going through apicture by angryjoe1111 from wiki commons hard time. It helped me put words to how I was feeling without having to say it. (“And all my friends are tired of hearing how much I miss you, but I kinda feel sorry for them ’cause they’ll never know you the way that I do.”)

No one could really understand what I was going through or just genuinely didn’t care. But this song was such a great help it helped me get through it.

A song I feel is underrated is 1 Step Forward And 3 Steps Back(2:43). (“Called you on the phone today Just to ask you how you were. All I did was speak normally. Somehow I still struck a nerve.”) This song really helped me understand that no matter what I do it will never be enough for someone.

No matter how hard I try to please everyone it’ll never be enough. So as long as you try your hardest and you are proud of yourself, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise or else you’ll never be happy with anything you do.

Her next song is Deja Vu(3:35). (“Car rides to Malibu Strawberry ice cream”). She wrote this song about an ex who does the same things with his new girlfriend as he did with his ex. However, I feel like this song could have multiple meanings. We’ve all lost friends, best friends, etc. this song helped me realise that no matter what you do with your friends they will always leave and take your ideas with them to make them more “unique.” But as long as you know the kind of person you are and you are a good person and you stick with that, it doesn’t matter what other people wiki commons by SINGmeAsadSONGdo to try to be like you, you are unique in your own way.

Rodrigo’s Good 4 U (2:58) is a way of sarcastically saying that she is happy for someone who hurt her without being rude. Do you ever have those people you really just don’t like, but you’re nice to them anyway? That’s what this song means to me. There will always be rude, disrespectful, ignorant people. But being kind is always the right option. The song is good to let your emotions out with.

(“And I knew how you took your coffee, and your favorite songs by heart I read all of your self-help books so you’d think that I was smart”) Enough For You (3:22) I’ve already talked about this in 1wiki commons by SINGmeAsadSONG Step Forward And 3 Steps Back. You can try and do absolutely everything someone else may like or want you to do, but it will still never be enough. I like to listen to this song when my self esteem gets really low because it reminds me that me being me, is enough for me, it doesn’t matter what other people think of me because no matter what i do it will never 100% satisfy anyone.

Happier(2:55) is a song that I listen to when someone has cut me out of their life and I’ve finally gotten over it but also I know that I am the best they would have ever had. “I hope you’re happy, but not like how you were with me. I’m selfish, I know”  you can wish the best for someone without wanting them to have better than you. Because there is no one better than yourself and once you realise that life will be easier for you.

wiki commons by SINGmeAsadSONGJealousy, Jealousy(2:53) a song I listen to when I’m mad about my “teenage dream.” I dont have the most exciting happy life like most teenagers do and this is the song that I listen to when I’ve gotten too deep in this thought. I understand that not all kids are living the teenage dream, but don’t you ever wish you could change something so your life could be more exciting?

Favorite Crime(2:32) This song is my main song to listen to when getting over somebody. (“It’s bittersweet to think about the damage that we do ’cause I was going down, but I was doing it with you. Yeah, everything we broke, and all the trouble that we made but I say that I hate you with a smile on my face”). It helped me realise that we had goodwiki commons by SINGmeAsadSONG memories.

Friends, I can move on with my life with those memories. And know what I did wrong in our friendship and hopefully not make the same mistakes.

Hope Ur Okay(3:29) I learned to love this song. It helped me apologize to people I’ve hurt in the past. (“Hope he took his bad deal Alison huyen 912and made a royal flush. Don’t know if I’ll see you again someday But if you’re out there, I hope that you’re okay”). I used to be so upset for hurting the people I did in the past and not apologizing for it. After I apologized  and showed them I had changed, we could become acquaintances again and it made my social life so much easier.

I hope after reading this you will go listen to her album. I love how much emotion she puts into her songs and I hope you will enjoy them too.