Students consider being vaccinated for COVID-19

This is a possibility for more students after the vaccine opened for 12-15 year olds.

Trinity Care Foundation

We know have vaccines to combat the COVID-19 virus, but students are unsure of whether to get one. “COVID-19 Virus” by Trinity Care Foundation is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Elise Wood, Opinion and Clubs Editor

People ages 12-15 are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine in the United States, after it was approved for use in that age group by the FDA. According to an article published by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), “The move comes after a study of 2,260 adolescents found the two-dose shot worked safely in that age group.” 

Scientists say that vaccinating this age group could be a big part of reaching herd immunity. However, Brooklyn Craythorn, HHS freshman, explained that she did not want to get the vaccine.

Other students are unsure as well. “I don’t know, I’d probably have to ask my parents on what they think their opinions are about it but I’m not really sure,” Stephanie Willis, HHS freshman, said when asked if she would get the vaccine.

Some students are concerned about the safety of the vaccines. However, Willis said she is “not really” suspicious about the vaccine.

Her concerns about the vaccine are different. “I’ve heard some side effects of it so far,” Willis said of her reasons for uncertainty.

Craythorn had other reasons for hesitating. “I know that when you’re young, your immune system is more strong than when you’re older,” Craythorn said. She feels that it’s more important to keep focusing on vaccinating older adults.

“Older people need to get the vaccine versus younger people because younger people have stronger immune systems,” she said.

Students have many different sources of information about the vaccines. Willis said her information is “usually just passed down from other people.” This could include her family or other students.

Craythorn turns to “doctors online, like medical sites.”

Getting the vaccine could have a lot of benefits for teenagers who want to return to normal. The WSJ article said that “wider use of the vaccines also could permit easing of pandemic measures.”