Your growing college plans

While you could go to the cheapest college you can find, you are more than likely going to have a lesser college education.

A+college+student+who+is+sad+and+out+of+money.+

Your growing college plans

A college student who is sad and out of money.

Thomas Siavashi

Thomas Siavashi

Thomas Siavashi

Jordan Mayo, Thomas Siavashi, and Cameron Norton

With the start of the new school year and so many college options, students are becoming increasingly overwhelmed. While some students already have their majors figured out, others have an extremely precise plan: Go to college. Despite the drastic difference between the two, it’s guaranteed that cost will be an issue. According to collegeboard.org, the average tuition fee for a four year public in-state college can cost you up to $10,000. If you don’t plan on living off of your parents, this means two things. One, you will be absolutely broke, like, robbing McDonalds broke. Two, you’re most likely searching for cheaper college options.

While you could go to the cheapest college you can find, you are more than likely going to have a lesser college education, and could potentially struggle to find employment after you’ve finished your schooling. So, what do you do? Well, college student Tori Hill gave some advice on the issue. She originally attended BYU for nursing, but decided that she wanted to go into health/wellness education. One of the nice things about college, according to her, is the amount  of freedom that comes after graduating high school. This further helps students transfer from college to college, as long as one has at least an associates, that is. Tori was quoted as saying, “You should definitely get an associates before transferring, because credits are universal.”

Someone else who helped us was Mrs. Johnston, a dual enrollment teacher for Stats. When asked about the cost for a dual enrollment class, she mentioned the Fast Forward Program, which provides over $4,000 to students in the state of Idaho between grades 7-12 in order to take advanced programs. So basically, you have the opportunity to take college classes and get college credits for free. Besides the cost benefits, she also described the overall experience. “I feel like it eases you into college,” she said. She explained how the classes are beneficial because it introduces aspects of college, such as lectures and note taking without throwing you into it. It can be viewed as the middle ground between High school and College that allows you to transition more smoothly. She recommends student to take dual enrollment classes if they want to go to college, but more importantly if they are “willing to apply themselves.” Dual enrollment classes, along with scholarships, help one get into better colleges for less. It is also important to research which colleges have better opportunities, but also which ones are worth the cost. On the side is a list of college options that are not only good schools, but also have programs to help the costs.