Dear Evan Hansen brings readers to tears

Tony award winning book Dear Evan Hansen is a moving piece of literature good for any struggling teen

Jamie Rosloniec, Reporter

Have you ever felt alone? Like the world has left you behind, watching everyone else from behind a window? Well, Evan Hansen, main character from the book inspiring the musical “Dear Evan Hansen,” has felt the same way for as long as he could remember.

The Tony award winner written by Steven Levenson has connected deeply with teens from around the world, making them feel heard and understood when the rest of the world turned them away.

In the book we meet Evan Hansen, a teen with social anxiety disorder. His therapist has him write daily letters to himself as encouragement to keep going, each one starts with the phrase “Dear Evan Hansen”. One of these letters falls into the hands of fellow student Connor Murphy, who Evan had met just days before. Connor struggles with depression and substance abuse disorder.

Days later Connor commits suicide and his family finds the letter saying “Dear Evan Hansen” mistaking this letter from Evan to himself as being a last note written by Connor to his only friend. The Murphys start to connect with Evan to learn about how Connor really was through the eyes of a friend. Evan starts to go along with the lie of being Connor’s friend and makes up stories about him and Connor. In the midst of all this he falls for Connor’s sister Zoe, finds a father figure in Connor’s Dad, and brings comfort to Connor’s mother, still hung up on Connors death.

Later on, his lie is discovered, and he is abandoned by all the people he had formed close relationships with. Alone again, he finally thinks about how his actions affected everyone around him. Years later he has grown and contacts Zoe Murphy again, he admits his love for her, she turns him down, and he understands, they then leave and never see each other again.

This book has always been one of my favorites and probably always will be, its a story of growing up, learning to understand yourself and others, overcoming trauma and anxiety, and is by far one of the best reads I know of.

“Even if you’ve always been that
Barely-in-the-background kind of guy
You still matter.” – Dear Evan Hansen