Chewing Gum has more positive effects than it does negative effects.

From better blood flow to enhancing memory all with one stick of gum!

Hope Garza, Reporter

Hope Garza

Taking a test the clock is ticking, your leg is bouncing, your eraser is almost gone. You’re flat out nervous. Nerves take over our bodies when we give them the attention they want and crave. 

You find yourself not remembering everything you see on the test. You’re thinking and thinking but you have completely and utterly hit a wall.

Now think of a time you did well on a test, a time where you were less nervous and finished early. Easy, fast, and not stressful, the test was a complete walk in the park. 

Why do you think it is that one time you were so nervous and another you were way more calm and collected? One simple factor. 

Baylor College of Medicine Researchers created a study where 108 students that went to a charter school were split into 2 groups. The first group chewed gum while studying and taking a test on what they studied, while the second group did not chew gum at all. 

In an article published by CNN on April 22 2009  titled “Chew on this: Gum may be good for your body, mind” it says “The gum-chewing students had a 3 percent increase in their standardized math test scores compared with those who did not chew gum. Also, the students who chewed gum had better final grades compared with the non-chompers.” 

Another example of how gum has a positive effect on your body is in an article published by LiveScience on December 16th 2011 called “Gum chewing test performance, study suggests.”  it tells us “The Chewing motion gets blood flowing to the head, the researchers suggest, where it improves memory”

In an article published by the National Library of Medicine on April 12th 2009 called “ Effects of chewing gum on mood, learning, memory, and performance of an intelligence test.” It informs us that a study was done to determine how gum improved in many different areas, one of them from the list above being alertness. 

It tells us that “ chewing gum increased alertness at the end of the test session in both parts of the study.”

There are so many more facts that have proven that gum is good for you. Chewing a stick is not a bad idea especially when antsy.

While some people may say that gum is just a huge sticky unhealthy mess, there have been many different studies that prove that gum has more than one healthy effect on you. The sticky mess I do understand, but if your child is old enough to chew gum responsibly, then I for sure recommend it. 

I know from personal experience chewing gum gives me something to think about and helps calm my nerves when I’m nervous. 

Your final answer to fix all your problems when taking your test… one stick of minty gum!